Sunday, September 9, 2012

Am I smarter than a monkey???

Am I smarter than a monkey? It probably depends on who you ask and what day you ask it. Today is a good day, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

The real question is can I let go? It is not as easy as it sounds. Actually, sometimes it may feel impossible. I think there are times that we tell ourselves that we have forgiven, when we really haven't. You know the drill, you see them at Wal-Mart and head down the fishing isle to avoid the person. (They make fishing poles in pink now, right?) That is a sure sign that you are not quite there yet.

So what do we do when we want to forgive but aren't there yet? Pray. Ask God for the ability to forgive that person. I think that saying the words can be therapeutic. This is definitely a prayer that may need repeating, but in the repetition omes healing. After all, God granted me forgiveness....who am I to deny someone else?

So what are your thoughts on forgiveness? Let's start the conversation. Just remember, keep it positive.

God Bless

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Trish. I am NOT smarter than a monkey for sure. I don't know how many times I have said the words "I forgive you from my mouth," but actually never said them from my heart. I hold on to the bait in the jar. I'm going to pull my arm off. Yes...keep on swimming, keep on swimming. I have to be better at really releasing that person and, in turn, releasing myself from carrying around that boulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point. Forgiveness is as much for us as it is for them. It really is like a boulder, why not let God do the heavy lifting???

      Delete
  2. When we are unwilling to forgive and Let God we are not smarter than a monkey..."A southeast Asian monkey trap is constructed from a hollow gourd with a single opening just large enough for the monkey's hand to grasp the tempting bait of fruit. Finding the bait, the monkey also finds that it cannot remove both its hand and the fruit. The trap works because the monkey refuses to let go of the fruit even as disaster approaches. In the same fashion, the government of the United States now refuses to release the fruit of avarice and revenge, even as disaster befalls with, certainly, more disaster to come."

    ReplyDelete