Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Lenten Project: Day 1

I hopped out of bed this morning, excited and terrified at the same time. Today was my kickoff, the beginning of a new me. Jesus girl 2.0. if you will.


I arrived to work with ashes on my forehead and a spring in my step. The ashes on my forehead would have been more impactful if they weren't lost in a sea of red bangs. Aside from that, I was ready for whatever God had in store for me.


It was mid morning and time for soda thirty. Translation: Soda thirty is when a group of us venture out for a pop. This lead to the conversation I would replay in my head the rest of the day. Someone asked me if I gave up anything for lent.


I said no.


Technically, I said "no not really". Which was true. I had not given up anything traditional. Anyway, this was my pact with God and it was none of their concern.


Except I am blogging about it and it is in no way a secret.


So why didn't I tell my friends.....my non "churchy" friends, that is. I have told a number of people about my plan. So why did I hesitate?


To tell you the truth I don't know why, but I have 40 days to figure it out.



3 comments:

  1. So it was on my mind tonight as well......I've decided I'm going to attempt to make the time with my kids more meaningful. I've been getting better at this but tonight made a purposeful decision to just enjoy my time being with them and nothing else. Example: my phone beeped and Logan immediately says...I'll get it Mommy. Instead, I told him not to worry about it as I was just enjoying snuggling with him. Both kids and I spent and hour and a half just being together and not worrying about outside influences. Probably one of the most relaxing evenings I've spent in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. There are days when I catch myself barely acknowledging Aaran because I am so disctracted with things that really don't matter. Keep checking in so we know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Great posts! I find our disciple mode we live out of is odd sometimes. The odd thing about it all, is we think we are in stealth mode. But its no secret for Him even though we may not tell anyone else. He knows already how much better letting go will be. He must scratch his head wondering what the heck are we up to as he watches us debate with ourselves on giving up what is clear to Him keeping us apart! Im guilty of this I know!

    ReplyDelete