Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Lenten Project: Day 4

God introduced me to an amazing lady today at the UMW spring event. Her name is Mary Alice Parmley and I will never forget her. The Holy Spirit radiated from her as she moved onto the stage. Her daughter was by her side every step of the way. You see, she had to be. At 79 walking onto that stage was no easy feat. They got her settled into a chair on the stage and she read her children's book called Traveler to us.


It was the first children's book she had ever written.


The kids from the nursery had gathered around her to listen. Then, when she was done she called one of the little boys over to her. She leaned toward him, put her hand on his arm and said "I love you." She had never met him before, but when she said those words, the entire room knew she meant it.


After she was done, I went over to meet her. I really don't know why, I just wanted to. I knelt down on the floor next to her and she immediately gave me a hug. I told her about my own love of writing. Then we talked about how Traveler was written on the back of an envelope; and, that was where she did all of her writing. She insisted that I should do the same. President Lincoln did all of his writing on the back of envelopes. If it was good enough for him, it should be good enough for me. (I will smile about that for weeks.) As I was getting up to walk away, she pointed at me and said, "never give up, I mean it... never give up".


Those words were spoken by her, but came from God. You will never convince me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment