Monday, September 17, 2012

Forgiving Others

I am pretty excited today, not just because I am blogging, because today I have a "cheat sheet". Thanks Pastor Dennis for the study guide!!!

Question number one calls us to discuss the reality of "turning the other cheek". Mathew 5: 44 talks about praying for your enemies. Maybe this is a good way to start, just praying for them. I take it a step further and pray the Lord heal my heart towards them. (This is way more effective than praying that He fix them.  I've tried that before too....it never works!)

Question number four asks us to reflect on guilt, shame, and anger. Pastor Dennis mentioned that anger and unforgiveness go hand in hand. So many of us think that we have the right to be angry. Almost like we have earned it. I can picture the devil sitting on my shoulder whispering things like " How dare they." and "You don't have to take that.".

Lastly, I really liked 5c. "The person who turns the other cheek is saying, in effect, try again. I deny you the power to humiliate me." In essence, when we are angry at someone, that person has the power. Denying them of that, well, it actually takes a very strong person. Very strong, indeed.

So now is your turn. What parts of the sermon spoke to you? Did you have any "aha" moments? Let's keep the conversation going.

No comments:

Post a Comment