Saturday, February 9, 2013

Get Your Glow On

I need to be honest with everyone. When I first heard the title of this weeks sermon, Go, Grow, Glow, I wondered if Pastor Hector was speaking on gardening....though I was not sure how glow figured into it. But, true to form, he delivered a passionate and spirit filled sermon. So much so, that it caused me to ask myself "how do I grow as a christian?"

The answer was sitting on my night stand. It was not my cell phone or Aaran's half eaten cookie. It was also not the TV remote or my glasses. It was, however; what my glasses rested on. It was the Bible.

I can't tell you how many times I have whined that I wish life came with an instruction manual. All this time, it has been sitting right there.

Here is the thing, it is not "cool" to read the Bible. You are all thinking it. I know you are, because I have thought it too. Maybe cool is the wrong word. Let's try a different word, how about relevant? How does what happened to Peter, John, and James on a mountain top relate to little old me? How  can I get anything out of a book that was written over 2000 years ago?

Essentially, I was judging a book by it's cover. Once I got past the cover and into the word of God, things started to happen. I can't explain it. To be honest, I think it is a miracle of it's own. Once you start reading on a regular basis, it starts speaking into your own life. And it doesn't stop when you close the book. For hours (and sometimes days) after reading, things will come to me. Maybe it's an answer to a question I prayed about the day before. Or maybe it's a sense of peace about a situation that I have been upset about.

So give it a try. It's not as hard as it sounds. Start with a chapter a day. (Not a book, a chapter. Genesis 1, then Genesis 2, and so on.) If I'm wrong, you can always stop. But if I'm right, they can use the glow from Evangel for next years super bowl!




No comments:

Post a Comment